I Die If You Forget

Recently I watched a movie called "Remember Sunday" with a special someone and it created a rift in opinions. Here is my thesis. 

The film revolves around a man (Gus) who cannot remember anything from the previous day after he goes to sleep and only retains the memories before he had the accident that gave him this condition. We follow the journey of him falling in love with a lady (Molly) aiming to open up her flower shop and takes entrepreneur classes as she collects cash from waiting tables for the time being. 

*Spoiler warning*

After Molly learns about Gus's condition, both of them try to make the relationship work. After discovering a surgery that may cure Gus of his memory issue, he makes her promise that she would have to exit his life and live her own in case the procedure does not succeed. 

It is later found out by Molly that the surgery was already done on Gus and bore no fruit. She attempts to live up to this promise and tries to exit his life by erasing any proof that she ever existed in Gus's life. 

The movie ends with Gus finding one item that ties his connection back to Molly. After Molly realizes that Gus still has some proof of her existence, she decides that she would rather live with Gus and his memory issue than exit his life and spare herself from the pain of her lover constantly forgetting her existence every single day.

My argument is simple: Molly should not have returned. Her act is selfless and out of love. I do not care. This decision angers me. Gus would have easily continued on with his life without any memory of Molly. Molly could have easily moved on and focused on her career and found another man. 

With this Molly's decision, Gus continues to forget about her every day and would most probably get agitated or depressed about it as the relationship continues. There is the argument that Molly would most probably not tell him about how much she has suffered. Which is even more depressing. There is no winning. No side wins. Both lose. One does not even know that he is losing. This is not fair to one that loves another. 

If you forget who I am, I die. My existence is only valid through those I care about. There are no reminders that would close that wound of being forgotten. Whoever I introduce myself to you, who has forgotten me, is not me. It is a stranger. A new me. One that you do not know. One that may be, you would not want to know. So if you forget who I am. I die. 



Comments

Popular Posts